Flash Menu
 
 
Winnipeg Arena Demolition
January - March 2006

Explosive Demolition - Sunday, March 26, 2006, 7:25 am

The arena opened October 18, 1955 with an exhibition game between the Winnipeg Warriors minor league team and the NHL's New York Rangers. The building sat 10,100 at its opening and replaced the obsolete Shea's Amphitheatre. Renovations in 1979 expanded capacity to 15,565. In 1996, after the Jets left, another renovation took place. Club seats were added, the North End ice level seats were replaced with a club lounge. The Winnipeg Arena earned the nickname of the "White House" amongst locals for its traditional White Out during Jets' playoff games. The Winnipeg White Out is the best known and most loved sports tradition in Winnipeg.

Due to the opening of the MTS Centre, the Winnipeg Arena demolition was ordered. The City of Winnipeg took on the $1.45 million expense of demolishing the now vacant arena. Final demolition was scheduled for 7:15am on Sunday March 26, 2006. However, the dynamite failed to bring the entire structure down. Hours later, construction vechiles did pull down the structure.

The Winnipeg Arena held its last event on November 7, 2004. The Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan Board or Ontrea Inc. purchased the Winnipeg Arena site for $3.6 million. The land is expected to be used for retail.















































































































































































Explosive Demolition Sunday, March 26, 2006, 7:25 am


















































































































































 

Web site design and all graphics and photos © 2005 - 2013 Stan Milosevic