Click on thumbnails
to expand photos

Flash Menu
 
 
Pinawa Dam Provincial Park

Located on the Winnipeg River, Pinawa Dam was Manitoba's first hydro-electric generating station. Pinawa Dam was developed in response to the demand for residential and commercial power and was crucial to the rapid growth of Winnipeg in the pre-war years. The station began delivering power in 1906 and was closed in 1951 to allow the full flow of the Winnipeg River to serve the Seven Sisters Hydro Station built downstream. Later, parts of the dam were destroyed by the Canadian Armed Forces when it was used for demolition purposes. Today, the water flows through the ruins, forming rapids and waterfalls.



Pinawa Dam Pinawa Dam Pinawa Dam
Pinawa Dam Pinawa Dam Pinawa Dam
Pinawa Dam Pinawa Dam Pinawa Dam
Pinawa Dam Pinawa Dam Pinawa Dam
Pinawa Dam Pinawa Dam Pinawa Dam
Pinawa Dam Pinawa Dam Pinawa Dam
Pinawa Dam Pinawa Dam Pinawa Dam
Pinawa Dam Pinawa Dam Pinawa Dam
Pinawa Dam Pinawa Dam Pinawa Dam
Pinawa Dam Pinawa Dam Pinawa Dam
Pinawa Dam


Pinawa Hydro-Electric Generating Station in the the 1920's





 

Web site design and all graphics and photos © 2005 - 2013 Stan Milosevic